For my birthday Tim and I went away for a night. Yesterday we dispersed the kids all over the county and said sayonara. None of them cared. We went to the Mt. Timp Temple, something we rarely get to do. Or, rather, rarely make time for. It was really nice; I forget it's the most peaceful place you can find. During our sealings the sealer made a remark about covenants and keeping them, which was interesting since my neighbor made a similar remark to me when she came over on Friday. I think the remark really made Tim and I realize we need to refocus and get with it; the last year and a half have been so hard on our family. It's really hard to explain, you just sort of don't get it until you're in it 24/7. Nonetheless, a few hours in the temple helps put life in perspective, get out of victimhood, and carry on. I'm a bit determined to be a better parent- try not to get so stressed out. Lately it seems I've been so stressed about them all that if all they do is breathe too loud I'm after them for it. Ha! That means time for a break so I'm glad I had a birthday for it!
After the temple we checked in to Little America hotel and lounged around. We walked through Temple Square and City Creek. Marveled at the extreme costs people pay for something as simple as a scarf. Man alive! It was pretty low key- something both of us wanted and needed. Twice I tried to talk to Copper at my sister's and twice she said nope.
Apparently all three of the kids were angels.
Tricky little kids.
It was a nice break from them and from home life and something we should probably do every once in awhile I sort of forgot how funny Tim is. Most of our conversations are about the three tricksters. Tim bought a book I've been wanting to read forever, Falling to Heaven. A very must read.
It was also nice to go see the kids when our break was over, even if 2/3 of them wanted nothing to do with me after our "We're home!" shout-out.
They are a fun bunch of kids. And, yes, I enjoy them now; I can also say that the older they get the better so I can't wait for a few years from now.
Copper vs. clothes vs. me. It's a battle. Most days I let her wear whatever she wants; she picks out some doozy combinations. Lately we've been making rules like One Shirt School Day and Mom picks out church clothes. Otherwise she wears three skirts and like eight shirts. She's very into the layering look. The more the better. In the third picture down she's wearing three long sleeve shirts under the short sleeve shirt, and shorts on top of her jeans. That's how she went to Julie's and she came home with everything still on save the shorts. Only b/c they just didn't fit right. The other day we went to Home Depot and she wore a black long sleeve shirt, a flowered mu-mu type dress on top of it, boys swimming trunks, and purple boot slippers. Plus a necklace and purse. We may need to make a rule about going out into the community.
Many of our conversations go something like this:
Me: Copper, I need you to set the table for dinner.
C: I'll try again later.
Me: Copper, you need do your talking homework.
C: I'll try later.
Me: Copper, I need you to do what I ask you to.
C: Ma, try later?
C: Guess what ma?
Me: What?
C: (silent)
Me: You said, guess what
C: Yeah, ma?
Me: No, you said guess what...
C: No you did
Micah is a funny, funny kid. She's sort of the type that you really have to keep an eye on or she'll be found on the roof or in a hole. She's very, very curious and not afraid of anything. If there's anything she can climb on or into or on top of, she's there in a heartbeat. And she's quiet about it; she doesn't need to be the center of attention. She just kind of sneaks away and later I find her opening my acrylic paints or hanging from the elliptical. Twice last week she slipped from my view for a minute and I found her in the tub with Copper- after I'd already gotten her out, dry, and dressed. Her favorite thing to do is throw all of the books off of the shelves- all of them. I'm pretty sure she's the one that has thrown away all of my measuring cups. I have one left- the one I found on the top of the garbage. Who knows how long she's been throwing them away. Along with sippy cups, which I've also found in the garbage. We used to have about ten; we're down to three, maybe. Needless to say, Micah entertains herself and is quite loveable.
Kota is a funny kid too. More of a "look at me" kind of gal; she likes to be the center of attention. She follows me around all night begging to be held, wrapping herself around my legs, pulling on my shirts, throwing herself down into a full fledged fit- legs just a kicking and head banging. I pick her up and she smiles and lays down on my shoulder. She likes to be close to me all of the time. Sometimes it's very endearing and sometimes it's just not. She makes the silliest faces still and always has. Her genuine smile is incredible; her goofy smile is just laughable and cute. She's quick to share and love; she'll chase after Micah to give her a hug or give Micah a binkie when she finds an extra. She loves milk almost as much as Copper used to when she was this age. She loves shoes and books and stuffed animals. Show her anything from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and she breaks into giggles and dances. She rocks out to the Hot Dog Dance and even tries to sing with them.
They're all special little chicas and we're very blessed to have them. They flip life upside down, turn our house into a dirty circus, and bring plenty of tears. They also bring lots of smiles and laughs, lots of love, and tons of blessings.
After the temple we checked in to Little America hotel and lounged around. We walked through Temple Square and City Creek. Marveled at the extreme costs people pay for something as simple as a scarf. Man alive! It was pretty low key- something both of us wanted and needed. Twice I tried to talk to Copper at my sister's and twice she said nope.
Apparently all three of the kids were angels.
Tricky little kids.
It was a nice break from them and from home life and something we should probably do every once in awhile I sort of forgot how funny Tim is. Most of our conversations are about the three tricksters. Tim bought a book I've been wanting to read forever, Falling to Heaven. A very must read.
It was also nice to go see the kids when our break was over, even if 2/3 of them wanted nothing to do with me after our "We're home!" shout-out.
They are a fun bunch of kids. And, yes, I enjoy them now; I can also say that the older they get the better so I can't wait for a few years from now.
Here's what they've been up to lately:
Copper vs. clothes vs. me. It's a battle. Most days I let her wear whatever she wants; she picks out some doozy combinations. Lately we've been making rules like One Shirt School Day and Mom picks out church clothes. Otherwise she wears three skirts and like eight shirts. She's very into the layering look. The more the better. In the third picture down she's wearing three long sleeve shirts under the short sleeve shirt, and shorts on top of her jeans. That's how she went to Julie's and she came home with everything still on save the shorts. Only b/c they just didn't fit right. The other day we went to Home Depot and she wore a black long sleeve shirt, a flowered mu-mu type dress on top of it, boys swimming trunks, and purple boot slippers. Plus a necklace and purse. We may need to make a rule about going out into the community.
Many of our conversations go something like this:
Me: Copper, I need you to set the table for dinner.
C: I'll try again later.
Me: Copper, you need do your talking homework.
C: I'll try later.
Me: Copper, I need you to do what I ask you to.
C: Ma, try later?
C: Guess what ma?
Me: What?
C: (silent)
Me: You said, guess what
C: Yeah, ma?
Me: No, you said guess what...
C: No you did
Micah is a funny, funny kid. She's sort of the type that you really have to keep an eye on or she'll be found on the roof or in a hole. She's very, very curious and not afraid of anything. If there's anything she can climb on or into or on top of, she's there in a heartbeat. And she's quiet about it; she doesn't need to be the center of attention. She just kind of sneaks away and later I find her opening my acrylic paints or hanging from the elliptical. Twice last week she slipped from my view for a minute and I found her in the tub with Copper- after I'd already gotten her out, dry, and dressed. Her favorite thing to do is throw all of the books off of the shelves- all of them. I'm pretty sure she's the one that has thrown away all of my measuring cups. I have one left- the one I found on the top of the garbage. Who knows how long she's been throwing them away. Along with sippy cups, which I've also found in the garbage. We used to have about ten; we're down to three, maybe. Needless to say, Micah entertains herself and is quite loveable.
Kota is a funny kid too. More of a "look at me" kind of gal; she likes to be the center of attention. She follows me around all night begging to be held, wrapping herself around my legs, pulling on my shirts, throwing herself down into a full fledged fit- legs just a kicking and head banging. I pick her up and she smiles and lays down on my shoulder. She likes to be close to me all of the time. Sometimes it's very endearing and sometimes it's just not. She makes the silliest faces still and always has. Her genuine smile is incredible; her goofy smile is just laughable and cute. She's quick to share and love; she'll chase after Micah to give her a hug or give Micah a binkie when she finds an extra. She loves milk almost as much as Copper used to when she was this age. She loves shoes and books and stuffed animals. Show her anything from the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and she breaks into giggles and dances. She rocks out to the Hot Dog Dance and even tries to sing with them.
They're all special little chicas and we're very blessed to have them. They flip life upside down, turn our house into a dirty circus, and bring plenty of tears. They also bring lots of smiles and laughs, lots of love, and tons of blessings.
| Build-a-fort-and-play-in-it night. Don't worry; Micah dived on top of the blankets shortly after. |
![]() |
| Copper loves her babies, really |
| I told them to go out in the backyard to play...and... they did! |
| Super heroes |






Comments
Post a Comment