Skip to main content
I started following this blog for twins, yourhandsfull.blogspot.com.  It's kind of cool to hear what other people say, crazy times.  Caisa is the blog owner; she had twin boys when her son was nineteen months old.  I thought it was hard that Copper was just barely two, I can't imagine her five months younger than she was.  I love following the blog and hearing about other people's experiences.  It's Really validating to know that other people have found it just as difficult, crazy, and amazing.  It's a little self-assuring to know that I'm not crazy, inadequate, or a terrible mom, that twins really flip life around, even for the better.  And it's really helped me appreciate my twin girls more and to know it really is a unique and neat experience and blessing.

I was invited to post on this blog my experience and/or what it's like to be a working mom.  I wonder if she regrets asking.  I verbally vomited. Spewed all over the place.   When I finished I thought, "Man, nice to get it out!!"  Maybe worth sharing on here: (?) [Caisa did the bolding/font size, adds exactly to my tone!]

"The first month, maybe six weeks, were a little easy.  Kota was the one who wanted to be held and touched and cradled all of the time.  Micah was pretty content wherever she was.  When they hit about two months they woke up from their newborn “coma” and the screaming started.  Hours of crying, every day.  Every morning, every night, hours and hours of colicky screams.  They were better if I was holding them both and bouncing on an exercise ball- something about the up and down movements. I also had a two year old that needed to be held, fed, played with, and a home that needed keeping.  No way could I spend all crazy day on the exercise ball bouncing.

When they were almost four months I went back to work full-time.  I did not cry about it and wasn’t saddened.  I needed a break!  The crying was still happening; 
I heard screaming in my mind even when the house was quiet.  I couldn’t wait to be around adults and have an agenda for the day that didn’t include changing 25 diapers (my oldest wasn’t trained yet).  For that first year (yes, that’s how long the constant crying lasted) work was my saving grace.


     Positives about working:

·      -- I get out of the house.    I see friends at work and have adult conversations all day long.

·      -- I have a flexible schedule.  If my job required a structured “eight hours a day from x-time to x-time,” I don’t think I could do it.  My job’s different- I have some long days, I have short days. I have lots of time at home to catch up on stuff- weekends or nights or early mornings. And I have lots of vacation time.  This makes it all easier.

·     --  I have an incredible baby-sitter.  She loves my kids and is committed.  Her home is their home, her family is their family. She sends me pics and texts during the day, loves them and laughs with them. 

·      -- I love my job.  I like being a social worker- teaching others and learning from them.  I like working with families.  It’s humbling knowing and seeing that my problems are quite small in comparison to others’.  It gives me perspective.  And serving helps me love the world more.

Negatives about working:

·       -- First, my twins are getting to be more fun.  My three year old is the most fun three year old around.  I want to watch all of them play and discover and grow into their personalities.

·      -- Home vs. Kids vs. Work vs. Me.  Home is a 24 hour job and so are the kids.  Throw in 40 hours a week for my job and it’s more than a full schedule.  I am always behind at home and at work.  I can’t keep up.  It’s stressful and tiresome.  My kids are taken care of- they’re fed, clothed, played with, praised.  But they also get a mom with a shorter temper than I used to have.  No matter what I do, it isn’t enough.   It’s hard on me- I want to be able to take care of all of the things I want to, and do it well. 

·     --  Work also makes it hard to find time for me.  Fridays and Saturdays are full of catching up from the work week- the house, shopping, playing.  I feel guilty for wanting to leave the kids and do my own thing.  I already leave them four days a week all day long.  And feel guilty for leaving so much at home undone.  So, I either don’t have time for myself or it’s late, late at night.  And by that time, the most appetizing thing feels like a soak in the tub or stretching on the couch!


Twins have kicked my butt!  Too many times my husband came home from work and all four of us girls would be crying.  The twins because that’s just what they did every single day. My other daughter because she probably could sense the stress and tension in our home.  Me because I was tired and stressed and overwhelmed and my body still felt really out of whack. I was depressed.  It lasted a long time.  Some people get out and run, take a break, go out, whatever. I used to think, “Really? It’s a good day that we’re all still alive.” 

I remember grocery shopping with the three girls one time.  The twins were in the front part of the cart, facing each other with their feet in the middle.  Crying and crying.  I knew if I picked one up I’d have to hold the other too, leaving nobody but a 2.5 year old to push the cart.  Get real.  So I let them cry and soon enough I was crying too.  A very sweet lady said, “It doesn’t seem like it now but one day you’re going to miss this.”  I very truthfully said that I doubted it.   Seriously.  Would I miss these sweet girls crying and crying all the day long?  Who would miss crying all the bloody time?

Crying was the hardest part for me the whole first year of their life.  They were such tiny babies-how anything so loud could come out of their mouths, and for so long at a time, baffles me. These baby girls cried every day for hours for about a year.  I’d hear, “Oh you have twins, how fun.” I’d smile and think, “You obviously don’t have twins.”  At every interval (6, 9, 12 months) I’d think they’ve got to be growing out of it. But nope.  The crying has finally stopped - I swore the day would never come. 

It’s nice to have the validation from other twin moms that it hasn’t been easy for them either. I really don’t know what it’s like to have a lot of little kids who are not twins.  But, I know that twins compound everything.  For almost two years I’ve felt like putting a sign around my neck that says “Don’t pretend to know what it’s like.”  

Twins aren’t easy. It’s hard when they hit milestones at the same time, it’s hard when they’re on different levels, it’s hard when both are really needy and demanding, it’s hard when one is; it’s hard having multiple babies.  And it’s hard when it seems my older daughter (and by “older” I mean three) doesn’t get the acknowledgment that being the big sister is huge.  She’s just as much in the spotlight.
I keep waiting for it to get “easy.” The more I think about it and the older they get, it’s just that the challenges change.  

However, I’d take two (well, three) toddlers making tornado size messes in my home every second of every day than screaming for hours every day.  I’d take fits and tantrums over the baby stage.  

Despite the daily challenges and trials, twins are incredible and amazing.  It’s a blessing to have two bebes at the same time.  Sometimes I’m overwhelmed with the thought that I was chosen to have two little ones at the same time.  It probably shows something about my strength, or potential for strength.  And it definitely shows something about what I’m here to learn!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...