I really like the spirit around Thanksgiving and this time of year. It's easy to get caught up in all the commercial propaganda going on. But when you look for it, you see good people doing good things for those around them. The season sort of brings about a mindfulness of others.
I have a gratitude journal I write in somewhat regularly. It always begins with "How has God blessed me and those I love today?" While the answer is often about family and belongings, jobs and community, it is also about the little miracles in life. Once I heard someone say, "Well if God is around, He sure doesn't show Himself, with all the terrible things going on in the world." After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I thought about what we allow our minds to see. I see miracles and the presence of God's hands everywhere and in everything, literally. I see the miracles and blessings of paying tithes faithfully and without question, not only in that we have what we need but in many things we want. I see miracles in the families we are blessed with and the friends and support around us. I see good people doing good things for us- helping us in times of need and loving/supporting us. I even recognize the mercy God grants in helping me find my keys every day because I lose them every single day. Ha!
So it's a natural inclination for me to want to do things for others- because I've been given so much and continue to receive so much. I'm happy that this season strengthens that inclination. The last two years Copper and I have found a family to serve. We buy food and needful things and make it fun by dropping it off anonymously. We've been talking about it again this year; she's finally catching on to the spirit and it's exciting to me.
Last night she wanted to play "house." She said, "You be a mom and I'll be a mom. I'll stay in this room and you go to the playroom and close the door." So I did as I was asked. A minute later there was a knock on the playroom door. I answered it, expecting to find her, and instead I found: toys, play food, and a home-made manger with baby Jesus lying at my feet, with Copper nowhere in sight. "Oh look what someone brought us!" I said. I could see her beaming out of the corner of my eye, hiding behind a table. I'm so glad to see her wanting to do things for other people without needing an armful of credit or thanks- just doing it because it is fun and warms the heart.
Here's what warms my heart:
I have a gratitude journal I write in somewhat regularly. It always begins with "How has God blessed me and those I love today?" While the answer is often about family and belongings, jobs and community, it is also about the little miracles in life. Once I heard someone say, "Well if God is around, He sure doesn't show Himself, with all the terrible things going on in the world." After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I thought about what we allow our minds to see. I see miracles and the presence of God's hands everywhere and in everything, literally. I see the miracles and blessings of paying tithes faithfully and without question, not only in that we have what we need but in many things we want. I see miracles in the families we are blessed with and the friends and support around us. I see good people doing good things for us- helping us in times of need and loving/supporting us. I even recognize the mercy God grants in helping me find my keys every day because I lose them every single day. Ha!
So it's a natural inclination for me to want to do things for others- because I've been given so much and continue to receive so much. I'm happy that this season strengthens that inclination. The last two years Copper and I have found a family to serve. We buy food and needful things and make it fun by dropping it off anonymously. We've been talking about it again this year; she's finally catching on to the spirit and it's exciting to me.
Last night she wanted to play "house." She said, "You be a mom and I'll be a mom. I'll stay in this room and you go to the playroom and close the door." So I did as I was asked. A minute later there was a knock on the playroom door. I answered it, expecting to find her, and instead I found: toys, play food, and a home-made manger with baby Jesus lying at my feet, with Copper nowhere in sight. "Oh look what someone brought us!" I said. I could see her beaming out of the corner of my eye, hiding behind a table. I'm so glad to see her wanting to do things for other people without needing an armful of credit or thanks- just doing it because it is fun and warms the heart.
Here's what warms my heart:
They are crazy. They destroy our home daily. They cry and fight. They are worth every mess, tear, and feeling of insanity. Love my family!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment