I don’t know why I expected this year of swimming lessons with Copper to be much different from last year. Recall… (last year) “Um, this was kind of a waste of money because she just won’t put her face in the water.” So we spent a year practicing in the tub. This year, the morning of her first day, I made her a “I’m brave medal.” We both had the faith. Wear it all morning, you’ll be brave enough to jump right in and swim like a fish. I wasn’t there the first two days because of my work schedule I watched the third day… the medal did not work. The fourth day she did a little better but she’s quite the negotiator. Skilled, may I add.
Teacher: Copper, I want you to dive down and pick up those rings.
Copper: No.
Teacher: Yes.
Copper: Then hold my hand.
Teacher: Okay, I guess I can.
Well, obviously hand-holding doesn’t work when you’re supposed to actually go under the water and to the bottom of a bottomless (actually 3 foot) pool. So then the teacher said, “Okay, well I’ll just hold you at the waist and help you under, and you just have to grab them. Look for them through your googles.”
Copper: No.
Teacher: Yes.
Copper: Then hold it in your foot so it will stay still.
Teacher: Okay, I guess I can.
Four tries later and no rings.
So the teacher moves the rings to the steps of the pool. Copper put them on the second step and “dived” right for them, I don’t think her head even had to touch the water. The teacher put them on the third step and Copper tried to negotiate again but the teacher made her reach for them. Later…
Teacher: Copper, want to jump off the diving board? Remember, you did the first day?
Copper: Yes.
She walks over there, climbs up, and climbs down.
Copper: No.
Teacher: Want to jump in the side?
Copper: Will you hold my hands?
You get the idea. She has a week left and I’m fervently praying she’ll be braver. The medal shaved our hope after day one.
Teacher: Copper, I want you to dive down and pick up those rings.
Copper: No.
Teacher: Yes.
Copper: Then hold my hand.
Teacher: Okay, I guess I can.
Well, obviously hand-holding doesn’t work when you’re supposed to actually go under the water and to the bottom of a bottomless (actually 3 foot) pool. So then the teacher said, “Okay, well I’ll just hold you at the waist and help you under, and you just have to grab them. Look for them through your googles.”
Copper: No.
Teacher: Yes.
Copper: Then hold it in your foot so it will stay still.
Teacher: Okay, I guess I can.
Four tries later and no rings.
So the teacher moves the rings to the steps of the pool. Copper put them on the second step and “dived” right for them, I don’t think her head even had to touch the water. The teacher put them on the third step and Copper tried to negotiate again but the teacher made her reach for them. Later…
Teacher: Copper, want to jump off the diving board? Remember, you did the first day?
Copper: Yes.
She walks over there, climbs up, and climbs down.
Copper: No.
Teacher: Want to jump in the side?
Copper: Will you hold my hands?
You get the idea. She has a week left and I’m fervently praying she’ll be braver. The medal shaved our hope after day one.
Comments
Post a Comment