The twins have always been horrible sleepers. So was Copper until her happy-second-birthday adenoidectomy and tonsilectomy. Dakota has somewhat followed in the same way, though not as bad as Copper was. This last week we had her adenoids out. Hopefully it will help her sleep better. She has sleep apnea and is the most restless sleeper there is. She's up numerous times a night. Not so terrible if she'd put herself back to sleep... quite terrible because she just sits up and cries. If left too long, she wakes up Micah, who starts crying... who if cries too long throws up everywhere. No bueno. I'm praying it will help, which I think it will unless Dakota has her body trained to wake up so often, which I think must happen to be my problem. I'm a terrible sleeper too. I can fall asleep while praying, watching TV, reading, even talking and get a few good hours in before I wake up. Then it takes me hours and hours to go back to sleep. I think bodies are miraculous creatures who adapt to life, little sleep, stress, and business...but I also think sleep is greatly important and highly ignored by my body.
So... Kota's surgery went great. We spent two hours at the hospital before even making it back to the little room. She has happy and cheerful and even a little friendly while the nurses were showering her with "cute" hosptial clothes, a doll to color, a new blanket, play-doh, crayons, and all sorts of princess crap. Even okay while they took her blood pressure. "She can take back her own surgical mask," the nurses told me when explaining they were ready to take her. Umm... I was pretty sure she wouldn't care about a surgical mask and told them they'd have to just pry her from me and take her back screaming. Which is exactly what they did. I could hear her screaming all the way down the hall. A little traumatic.
She was done in less than an hour and came back (expectedly) groggy. She cried and cried, "Take me home, I want to go home!" When she calmed down enough for me to explain she had to eat a popsicle without throwing up before we could go, she agreed and sipped the slushie down. She cried to go home, over and over. She wanted nothing else to eat or drink and refused to talk the whole drive home.
I expected her to be lethargic or run down for the rest of the day. The little champ begged for mac&cheese when we got home and then ate two bowls of rice. Then she asked Micah to play play-doh with her and ate tortilla chips. So much for the "she'll have a bad sore throat today" from the doctor. In fact, she wouldn't stop eating all day and she ate whatever she wanted. She ran around, played horses, jumped on the beanbag with Micah, and was non-stop. Seriously I thought it was a matter of time before she'd start throwing up. But nope, that was it. She does remarkably well after surgery.
So... Kota's surgery went great. We spent two hours at the hospital before even making it back to the little room. She has happy and cheerful and even a little friendly while the nurses were showering her with "cute" hosptial clothes, a doll to color, a new blanket, play-doh, crayons, and all sorts of princess crap. Even okay while they took her blood pressure. "She can take back her own surgical mask," the nurses told me when explaining they were ready to take her. Umm... I was pretty sure she wouldn't care about a surgical mask and told them they'd have to just pry her from me and take her back screaming. Which is exactly what they did. I could hear her screaming all the way down the hall. A little traumatic.
She was done in less than an hour and came back (expectedly) groggy. She cried and cried, "Take me home, I want to go home!" When she calmed down enough for me to explain she had to eat a popsicle without throwing up before we could go, she agreed and sipped the slushie down. She cried to go home, over and over. She wanted nothing else to eat or drink and refused to talk the whole drive home.
I expected her to be lethargic or run down for the rest of the day. The little champ begged for mac&cheese when we got home and then ate two bowls of rice. Then she asked Micah to play play-doh with her and ate tortilla chips. So much for the "she'll have a bad sore throat today" from the doctor. In fact, she wouldn't stop eating all day and she ate whatever she wanted. She ran around, played horses, jumped on the beanbag with Micah, and was non-stop. Seriously I thought it was a matter of time before she'd start throwing up. But nope, that was it. She does remarkably well after surgery.
Not pictured... her screaming as they take her away! Happy in the above picture and below is when she just finished...
Sometimes home is all it takes to bring a smile...











.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment