I wrote this email to some of my closest friends as part of a little endeavor I'm making:
Hi all,
I'm writing this email to ask for your support! You are all who I regularly see each week and whom I consider good friends!
I'm sort of on this endeavor for improved health. Since we all believe that mind and body are one (you all believe that, right?), I'm working on overcoming some negative thoughts I have about myself that is impacting the way I treat my body and negatively affecting my self-image. So I'm asking for help in two ways, please!
1) Please respond to just me and let me know something you admire about me or one of my strengths. Please don't lie to make me feel good, haha. Not a novel either- just a quick sentence or two.
2) Support me by being direct and frank about poor choices I make or things I say about myself that aren't positive. For example... "Cassie, I don't care about your hard day at work. Suck it up. Don't eat that cheeseburger and delicious sweet potato fries. You are better than cheesecake. It's just an excuse and it won't make you feel better." But really.
I appreciate all of your friendship! I always look forward to days I get to see and be with each one of you. Thanks so much!
I believe there is powerful influence that comes from surrounding yourself with good people. Good people bring out the best in us and make us want to be even better. The folks I chose are people I see or talk to numerous times a week. Their answers have reminded me that I am admired, liked, loved- and it's all very good for my soul, which I often beat up and criticize.
From Grace, my dear friend I got to know after our wards merged. She's amazing!
Hi Cassie!
The hardest thing you've asked here is to not send a novel!! I'll try to honor that request but I'm not going to limit myself to just one of your strengths either!
Your ability to see things in perspective.
How often you use the phrase "it's not a big deal"- even if it is often a very big deal.
Your stamina in juggling your many roles.
The way you make your home a fun and happy place.
The way your children cling to you because they love being around you.
The way you plan- and then do- fun outgoings with your girls, building sweet memories that will last forever.
Your ability to see the humor in situations, and your ability to laugh at yourself.
The way you welcome others into your heart and life and home.
Your faithfulness. Your ability to help others feel the Spirit. You are the one who seems to volunteer to help first and you see the potential in others. I have often thought that one of your gifts is the ability to see and help others the way Christ does.
Your gentleness.
I could go on and on...love you, my friend!!
From Kristi, my friend at work who has become my office confidant (when I'm in my office...haha)
Hey Cassie,
What a great idea!
1- I love that you are so helpful and genuine! You make me feel like I know what I'm doing, even when I don't have a clue. (So you help boost my confidence in myself)
2- I will try my hardest to call you out on the negative thought processes but I do love sweet potato fries and cheese cake so this one is going to be a bit tricky for me. I will absolutely try though :)
Love ya!
Kristi
From Shandee, my very best friend who is luckily my eternal sister:
I admire your non judgmental spirit. I feel I can say anything to you and you'd try to really understand, not criticize. I also admire your spiritual strength. You always look to the Lord first, it's something I really look up to and need to be better at myself.
I think this is a great way to start your journey. I also like that you didn't call it a diet. Diets don't last, but being healthy, in your body and mind, are great lasting goals. Let's keep each other in check.
Love you!
From Katie, who I've loved getting to know through Primary and admire a great deal:
Dear Cassie,
I'm delighted for the chance to say nice things about you! I have so much respect and admiration for you. Isn't it funny how we're our own worst critics? I hope when you look around at your life and yourself in particular you can notice how amazing and awesome you are.
Here are some things that I love about you:
*You have an extra capacity for compassion-- you really care about people and the trials they are going through. *You are a good listener, and people feel safe and comfortable sharing their hardest things with you-- they know you will love them anyway.
*You "get it". You know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is the answer to everything. You invest in Him and Heavenly Father by prayer and scriptures, teaching your children, and serving His children diligently and willingly.
*You are such a good mama. You have given your kids a beautiful home where their creativity can blossom, and they feel extremely loved.
*You treat the Primary kids like you love them. You have a calm and gentle way about you that they respond to.
*You have beautiful clear blue eyes with sweeping eye lashes, a sparkling smile and a ready laugh. You shine!
*You are a key part of Heavenly Father's plan for your family. Through you and Tim, Taryn gets a home she can count on, and learn from.
You are fun to be with, and I'm grateful I get to be your friend! I love you Cassie!
Katie :)
From Kati, my friend at work who is a fantastic listener and gets my humor:
Oh I just love this! I will try not to write a novel, but I could because I think you are so wonderful.
I admire that you are always so approachable. I feel like I can come to you for just about anything, and I know that you are open to listening to me without judgement. You are always so willing to help, even when its not convenient for you. I love that you are willing to just say things as they are, rather than trying to appear a certain way. I feel like I can relate to you as a mother, more so than other people, because you make me feel like its ok when things aren't going the way that I think they should or as smoothly as I would like.
From Ashley, who I'm so happy came into my life when my work world changed:
Cass,
There are several things that I admire about you but one that I have noticed more in the last week or two is that you don't give up on your people. Not just your clients, but family and friends. You get discouraged and annoyed, but even when that happens you vent for a sec and then your right back on their side helping and encouraging and cheering them on.
Ash
From Tim, my incredibly short-winded husband of very few words whom I love dearly:
Hey. You are a hard worker, a patient mom, and an amazing wife.
From Trish, my friend who abandoned me at work but I still get to see and love:
I'm sorry it took me a bit to get back to you! I love this idea!!!
Cassie, I have truly admired you since I first met you(: The first thing I noticed about you is how genuine you are. People are drawn to you because you don't pretend to be something that you aren't. You're honest and open with everyone around you. I've always known that I could be myself with you and you would still love me(: You are forgiving and respectful. You have a strong capacity for kindness and compassion. You don't judge people who are different from you. In fact, you are especially kind to the downtrodden. You are a peacemaker: you forgive easily and you give people room to grow and learn from their mistakes. Also, I love your sense of humor! You laugh at yourself just as easily as you laugh at anything else!
You are my beautiful, and loyal land-mermaid friend!! (You'll need to watch Parks & Recreation to understand this).
Love ya!
From Erica, who I've luckily been introduced to in the last two years and is a great friend!
From Erica, who I've luckily been introduced to in the last two years and is a great friend!
-First, I love how open minded you are to things and feedback. You are always wanting honest answers and you don't take things personal. You are open to change! Well except when it comes to food....;)
-You have a very strengths based view of things. I feel like when I have come to you regarding work/personal and have had a negative attitude you are able to change the view and think positively on the situation.
-You are a go to person.. meaning everyone comes to you to talk and for advice! As evidenced by myself as well as being in your office and seeing everyone come in to talk to you. It is obvious to us outsiders that you are loved, wanted, and needed by many.
-I love and admire how much you love your family. Especially everything you are doing for your niece. I really admire the sacrifice it is on your family to have another addition added that takes up so much of your time... I know your girls may get frustrated at times because they have to split your attention and if they don't think that yet they probably will when they are teens... but I know that there will be a day when they look back and admire their mother for her selflesness of aiding to a girl
-I love how non judgmental you are. Seriously I could go to you about ANYTHING and I know that you would be supportive of me and do whatever you could to help me. I really feel like I can talk to you about anything. And that is saying a lot because I am super protective of my information about me.. I don't let a lot of people in.
Cass I am so grateful for you and the impact you have had on me. I love you dearly and hope you know that if you ever need anything I am here for you! Even though I hate my job most days I am so grateful that this job has made us cross paths and become friends.
You are beautiful and loved. Hope you know that. :)
Once it gets warmer we really should start doing walks or something like we talked about. OR you should start training and the the SLC 5k.. I think I'm going to do the marathon.. That would be fun yeah?!
Love you!
Aren't they all amazing!? Good people in my life have helped me shine. Surround yourself with people who build you up and center yourself in Christ. You can't go wrong!
Comments
Post a Comment