Skip to main content

G.C.

General Conference is a weekend of listening to apostles and others testify of the gospel and Jesus Christ.  It can be humbling, uplifting, funny, and is overall a really refreshing time.  Last weekend was the General Women's Conference and since Copper is eight now, we went together.  It was so fun!

We have a few traditions through General Conference weekend.  Rotate and renew our 72 hour kits by means of eating everything in them. Haha, but we do.  Stay at home in our pajamas.  Color for hours while we listen to good things.  Make good treats we don't usually have.  Clean the house like crazy during the Saturday morning and afternoon sessions.

This year did not disappoint.  Not only did we do all of our regular traditions but we were inspired and recommitted to the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I am always awed by these ordinary folks who come and present and testify in extraordinary ways.  It's a really amazing thing to be a part of; even if being a part of means being parked in front of the computer for hours at a time in slippers, a hoodie, and yoga pants with popcorn in my lap.

This year I've decided to break down each talk by answering a question the speaker has posed or pondering on a thought they had.  Conference, in all of its amazement, has these patterns of ideas and themes that are persistent throughout.  I find it divine because none of these speakers consult with each other to plan out topics- it's just by inspiration. Pretty cool.

Saturday Morning:
President Uchtdorf:  Two reasons to turn to Christ- My life will be better and God will use me to make the lives of others better.
Bonnie L. Oscarson:  Pray and ask Heavenly Father, "Who needs me today?" Pray for help in recognizing who needs our strengthening.
Dallin H. Oaks:  Use the Family, a Proclamation to raise our family and guide them in the right direction.
John C. Pingree Jr.: We have a role to plan on earth- focus on others. From the scriptures, "If ye desire, ye will be the means of much good."
D. Todd Christofferson:  Consider how completely and fully we need to incorporate Christ's character and know that service was central to His life.
Jeffrey R. Holland: Give your help to anyone trying to walk the road back to God.  We're human; we're imperfect, others are imperfect.  Have compassion towards others and ourselves.

Saturday Afternoon:
Gary E. Stevenson: Follow the wish of our prophet President Monson, who asked that we find someone to help. Brightness is brought upon man by himself- don't be distracted by life.
Stephen W. Owen: Repentance is  uplifting; it puts and keeps us on the right path.  Then our hearts can turn towards others.
Quentin L. Cook:  We are all equal before God; be humble.  Pray for forgiveness and forgive others who need us.
Ronald A. Rasband: The Lord is in the small details of our lives.  Ask ourselves, "When has the Lord acted in my life?"  We have a choice to turn to Him and should because He knows what we are capable of doing and becoming.
O. Vincent Haleck: GIve, knowing your want will be supplied.  We will have opportunity to be a light unto others; consider what I can give and have a willingness to give.
Russell M. Nelson: Conversion is an individual matter.  The Book of Mormon will provide this conversion to those who read and ponder with a broken heart.  He asked a fantastic question I'll just answer here and now:  What would life be like without the Book of Mormon? What would we not have? What would we not know?

I would not know about my purpose in life. I wouldn't know we have been and are lead by a prophet of God.  I wouldn't know about how to resolve contention.  I wouldn't know the worth of souls and life.  I wouldn't know about the significance of temples. I wouldn't know about obedience, sacrifice, resolution, mercy, grace, and love.  I wouldn't have an eternal family. I wouldn't have faith.  I wouldn't have "the big picture" in mind, knowing I can live with my Heavenly Father again.  I wouldn't have as much love, compassion, and trust in myself.  I wouldn't have commitment.  There's lots and lots of things I wouldn't have and wouldn't know.  My family's life without the Book of Mormon would essentially be life without Jesus Christ, for the BOM is the cornerstone of this gospel.  My savior Jesus Christ does live and I will never, ever doubt it.  He is why I live my life, raise my girls in righteousness, and am married to a wonderful man who knows this and is committed to living His gospel.

I'm pretty excited to listen to conference again today.  Yesterday was a really wonderful day of listening.  The theme I picked was this: I am here, in large part, to help others along the path.  I am here to serve others, teach, help, listen to, and love.  This begins in my home and spreads.  I pray to get out of myself, my own troubles and worries, to see how I fit in God's plan.  He has a plan for me to be significant in someone else's life.  I hope I can at least recognize some of it and go to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...