Today was the annual Primary Program where all the Primary kids sing and speak about things they've learned all year. It's a lot of work to organize and the best Sacrament Meeting of the year. This year I asked Micah to give a talk about living prophets. Considering she had to speak at a pulpit in front of a couple hundred people, including everyone in our ward plus grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends who come to see, she did AMAZING!! She was loud, clear, and confident, despite whispering, "I'm not going to do this" to me right before her turn. I'm so proud of her. I'm so proud of all of our Primary kids. They followed our theme of Choose The Right and testified of Christ, our perfect example, and the joy that comes from good decisions. I'm really grateful for Primary and the opportunity I have to be a part of the Presidency.
Tonight was Recognition Night for all the Activity Day girls (ages 8-11). Their leaders and I planned a talent showcase and nine happy, joyful, excited, and super cute girls performed away. Copper played the piano, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and we talked about spiritual gifts we're all given and can
develop. Some of Copper's greatest talents are spiritual- being agreeable, a good listener, sensitive to the Spirit and wanting to do good, being kind, and more. It is these types of things that will take her the furthest in life. Moreso these are things Jesus Christ is already, and to develop them is to be more like Him, of which there is no greater goal.
I love the church's youth programs. They provide such great opportunities for growth, leadership, friendship, and productive activities. While they're meant to be fun, the foundation is on our Savior Jesus Christ, the very center our lives should grow on.
Micah requires a sort of a "carrot in the face" motivation. I told her if she did a great job at speaking today, we'd go get a pillow at Toys R Us she's been begging for. That pretty much sealed the deal. My mom, in anticipation of Micah actually doing it, got her a shirt and gave it to her right after (she, my dad, and Taryn came to see her speak and the other girls sing). So now we're calling Micah a legend, which she kind of is now in our ward. This little gal never leaves me all 3 hours of church and would rather sit clinged to me, no matter if I'm speaking or teaching or sitting) than go to her own class. But she did it today- got up in front of a few hundred people to give a talk. I'm so proud of her and so are the dozens of people who commented they didn't know she had a voice. :) After church today she told Dakota, "A little bit is scary but a lot is joy so I liked it." That's the Spirit and it's touching.
Tonight was Recognition Night for all the Activity Day girls (ages 8-11). Their leaders and I planned a talent showcase and nine happy, joyful, excited, and super cute girls performed away. Copper played the piano, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and we talked about spiritual gifts we're all given and can
develop. Some of Copper's greatest talents are spiritual- being agreeable, a good listener, sensitive to the Spirit and wanting to do good, being kind, and more. It is these types of things that will take her the furthest in life. Moreso these are things Jesus Christ is already, and to develop them is to be more like Him, of which there is no greater goal.
I love the church's youth programs. They provide such great opportunities for growth, leadership, friendship, and productive activities. While they're meant to be fun, the foundation is on our Savior Jesus Christ, the very center our lives should grow on.







Comments
Post a Comment