Skip to main content

Spirit of Christmas

I'm trying to read the four Gospels in the Bible before the end of the year.  I should stop making scripture reading goals because I'm working on three at a time and it's a little overwhelming.  But it's okay, right?  The other night I was reading in Mark 10:45, which says, "For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."

I thought about it and decided we all come to earth not to be served but to give, in whatever way we can.  Our greatest accomplishments and growth come through compassionate service, in its billion forms.

It's fitting for this Christmas season.  The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized how much I've been blessed by God through others.  It's one of the greatest gifts our Heavenly Father has given us- each other.  Sometimes the to-do list around this season is overwhelming but this year I've decided to be more joyful about it, making it fun, heartfelt, and a good use of my time.  It's been really great getting things ready!

I bought a Nativity set for my brother Ty and his wife Amber.  I wrapped each piece separately and tagged the Nativity piece with a part of Christ's birth.  Our plan is to do the 12 days of Christmas starting next week.  Except I know how busy we are, so we wrapped them individually but then in a big box to deliver all at once.  They can be in charge of opening one each night.  The picture above is the tag for Mary's piece.  I wish I had taken a picture of the Nativity all unwrapped, but too late.




Each year my siblings and I, and all of the cousins, forego exchanging gifts with each other and do Sub for Santa for a family.  This year it's a family I have at work with four adorable children whom I just love.  They've had it rough, crazy, and unbelievable for awhile now and they're perfect recipients.  I can't wait to hear about it, especially because they don't know it's coming from my family and I.

This is for our mail lady.  What a boring, hard, monotonous job; but she is always so great and reliable.  I made her a note and wrapped up some chocolate caramels for her.  In exchange, she gave me our weekly Smith's ad.  It's about the same.

This little gift is for our neighbors.  It's chocolate covered pretzels and a story wrapped up with a bell.  Twenty-four of these babies, including neighbors, ward members, and auxiliary co-members.  The story is of the writing of I heard the Bells on Christmas Day.  It's one of my absolute favorites this time of year so I thought I'd share it.  New post with the story coming!


Forty of these for our Primary teachers, Scout leaders, Activity Day leaders, and Nursery leaders.  Primary presidencies obviously think of the children but without teachers and leaders, it's just 60 kids running around like lunatics.

I didn't take a picture of the 60 shatter-proof bulbs I put vinyl stickers of the CTR shield on.  I would have taken a picture, but it was so time consuming with tons of things not working right that I hated the sight of them.  Nobody else in the Presidency is any sorts of crafty, which is okay... except then I tend to volunteer for stuff.  I guess it doesn't really feel like gift giving if I hate the gift, haha.

We've donated to the Salvation Army, Healing Waters, The Adoption Exchange, and increased our Fast Offerings, and Humanitarian and Missionary donations.  These small financial gifts are not much but I feel incredibly blessed that we're able to give what we give.  We're making bread for teacher gifts, delivering "secret service" treats we make on Sundays, and writing love and thank-you notes. I'm incredibly happy our girls get to see this and participate, knowing that any kind of service gives us the very best feelings and reminds us we always have more than others.

Believe in Christ or not- it's what Christmas is about.  The Spirit of Christmas is the best, magical, heartwarming feeling there is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...