I took off the first three weeks of August to be home with the kids. It’s the best type of time off because it’s long enough to actually detach. A day here or there just doesn’t do the trick. I’ve loved being home and relying on co-workers to cover (nearly) all my crap.
Today I went to work, though 3/4 of the day was spent in Spanish Fork for our annual retreat. Most others actually participated in the Western theme and lassoed, bobbed for apples, corn-holed, and Dutch-ovened, but I preferred to just sit, chat, and snack for hours. Luckily most of my team also prefers just relaxing and not making a fool out of ourselves. It was an okay day at work, considering the smoke I could literally taste when I chewed (out of control wildfire = right up the canyon). On the way there I was telling my co-worker friend Kati how much I was dreading coming back to work full-time, though it seemed silly because I like my job and I'm grateful for and recognize its blessings.
"Sure," she said, "It's hard because you have to use a whole different part of your brain when you come to work. It's not like real life." I thought it was a perfect reply. There’s kind of a shift in the way I have to think and talk and act. I just got used to being normal in the world, not sad or traumatized or skeptical. But back to the grind I’ll go and just pretend-believe that it makes a difference. 😂
For now, our last bits of summer have included:
Today I went to work, though 3/4 of the day was spent in Spanish Fork for our annual retreat. Most others actually participated in the Western theme and lassoed, bobbed for apples, corn-holed, and Dutch-ovened, but I preferred to just sit, chat, and snack for hours. Luckily most of my team also prefers just relaxing and not making a fool out of ourselves. It was an okay day at work, considering the smoke I could literally taste when I chewed (out of control wildfire = right up the canyon). On the way there I was telling my co-worker friend Kati how much I was dreading coming back to work full-time, though it seemed silly because I like my job and I'm grateful for and recognize its blessings.
"Sure," she said, "It's hard because you have to use a whole different part of your brain when you come to work. It's not like real life." I thought it was a perfect reply. There’s kind of a shift in the way I have to think and talk and act. I just got used to being normal in the world, not sad or traumatized or skeptical. But back to the grind I’ll go and just pretend-believe that it makes a difference. 😂
For now, our last bits of summer have included:
More pool time
Carrying around wooden spoons and hearing Kota bang on her arm- the vibration apparently helps the itch from her cast. We'll be ready for less attention when we're out and about...
Crafts
Cooking together. I assigned the girls a Monday each month that they choose and prepare dinner. Dakota did a great job making pancakes, scrambled eggs, and sausage for dinner.
Taking the soon-to-be high schooler to Skyridge to get her ID and walk around. She was more than embarrassed that I kept calling her name to take pictures of her. She was also embarrassed when I told her I had those EXACT stone-washed jeans with a zipper at the ankles when I was in 8th grade.
Playing dress-up
A little home renovation. I decided to tear apart the girl's bathroom and redo everything.
I painted over the walls and covered the green ceiling (from 7 years ago when we moved in), trashed the monkey theme Amber generously gave us, and I'm in the middle of staining the cabinets. Still to go- new light fixture (which I'm also painting, because I didn't like anything that was reasonably priced), painting the door, and hanging up cute decor I thought of. Copper picked out the new chevron shower curtain and turquoise accents, which will be perfect!
Comments
Post a Comment