A long time ago (2 months) I told my sister I had a HUGE announcement to make but that it wouldn't be ready until September 21st. I asked her to save the date and to plan on a big family party for the reveal. She thought for sure I was pregnant. Or moving. Or building a house. Or adopting. Or making Ryan pour cement in the backyard.
I couldn't have known the days before would be full of a viewing, funeral, family in town, a baby shower, a crisis with Tim's family, and people getting sick. By the night of the 21st, I was plum "peopled out" and didn't really want to have the party. But, I knew all the nieces/nephews on my side were coming anyway because it was my scheduled weekend for the cousin sleepover, and my sister was going out of town. It's her and Ryan's anniversary but they promised to come back early to help celebrate our big announcement. Yikes. I think if she'd have known the big announcement was the two dogs' first birthday party, she would NOT have come back early. She does not like dogs.
Amber and I (and my parents) have strung her along for several months. A day before she left for her trip she called and said, "Listen, should I have Ryan bring his cement clothes? He can, if your surprise is to have everyone work in your backyard..." I laughed and said no, but I should have said yes. That would have been funnier.
So we had Red and Hoke's birthday party. Amber and I decorated most of Saturday. Several weeks ago we bought top-hats and bow-ties for them and had a photo shoot. Amber scored us poster size prints (16x20) to hang up. We took candid shots and hung everything up, including banners, balloons, and crepe paper. We bought gifts and made a sheet for people to write their favorite memories of the pooches. We bought them matching bandannas to wear for the party.
It is the most ridiculous thing in the whole world. Like the best-worst party. I do not think my sister was surprised we had a party for their birthday, but she was surprised this was the big announcement I kept secret for two months. At least she was amused.
We all got together like we hadn't already seen each other five times this week. The dogs got treats. I paid Cam to eat one in full without taking a drink or spitting it out; she did. Others (not my sister) wrote funny memories of their first year. We made Hoke and Red wear party hats. We talked about how the next party really should be a cement party.
I couldn't have known the days before would be full of a viewing, funeral, family in town, a baby shower, a crisis with Tim's family, and people getting sick. By the night of the 21st, I was plum "peopled out" and didn't really want to have the party. But, I knew all the nieces/nephews on my side were coming anyway because it was my scheduled weekend for the cousin sleepover, and my sister was going out of town. It's her and Ryan's anniversary but they promised to come back early to help celebrate our big announcement. Yikes. I think if she'd have known the big announcement was the two dogs' first birthday party, she would NOT have come back early. She does not like dogs.
Amber and I (and my parents) have strung her along for several months. A day before she left for her trip she called and said, "Listen, should I have Ryan bring his cement clothes? He can, if your surprise is to have everyone work in your backyard..." I laughed and said no, but I should have said yes. That would have been funnier.
So we had Red and Hoke's birthday party. Amber and I decorated most of Saturday. Several weeks ago we bought top-hats and bow-ties for them and had a photo shoot. Amber scored us poster size prints (16x20) to hang up. We took candid shots and hung everything up, including banners, balloons, and crepe paper. We bought gifts and made a sheet for people to write their favorite memories of the pooches. We bought them matching bandannas to wear for the party.
It is the most ridiculous thing in the whole world. Like the best-worst party. I do not think my sister was surprised we had a party for their birthday, but she was surprised this was the big announcement I kept secret for two months. At least she was amused.
We all got together like we hadn't already seen each other five times this week. The dogs got treats. I paid Cam to eat one in full without taking a drink or spitting it out; she did. Others (not my sister) wrote funny memories of their first year. We made Hoke and Red wear party hats. We talked about how the next party really should be a cement party.
This is Red.
Cameron eating a dog treat. Our neighbor daughter Zoey (bottom left) came over because she remembered it was Red's birthday and gave him a baggie of dog treats.





Comments
Post a Comment