This is the fitness center I started going to about four or five months ago. It may not sound exciting to you, but it's an important part of my life that I want to remember. A few days ago at Orange Theory I did: 1000 meters on the rowing machine, then 100 jumping jacks, then a 500 meter row, then 50 jumping jacks and 50 squats, then a 250 meter row, with 25 jumping jacks and 25 squats. That was only the first 20 minutes of an hour workout. Then I walked on the treadmill with inclines between 6-12% for 20 minutes, then nearly 20 minutes of weightlifting. Times this by five days a week (workouts like this) at five in the morning and it's how I start my day and why I'm ready for bed by 8:00 pm. But I love it! Even though results aren't physically noticeable (not to me at least), it's something I know starts my day off right and I just feel better and know I've gotten stronger. Plus, nearly everything there is orange, which happens to be my favorite color.
I always stop dead in my tracks for a few seconds when they play Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac. It makes me laugh at myself. I really like them still, apparently.
Most days on the way to school I make the girls, including carpool, repeat a series of affirmations. Sometimes they add their own. It's fun and I love it, and I think they do too because if I forget they ask for it. Sometimes we say things like, "I'm going to be a hard worker today," or "I'm beautiful," or "I'm grateful for those around me," or "I'm amazing." It's kind of fun. The other night Copper brought me a folded up paper that says:
"If found please give to Mom!" Then it lists the following:
"Affirmations (that are true about you!)
You are loved!
You're beautiful!
You're amazing!
You're awesome!
You're a child of God!
You're outstanding!
You're going to have a great day!
You're kind!"
I thought my heart might explode; I love what she wrote and believes about me, and I love that she is beginning to understand the power of words like that. I hung it up in my office to say everyday about myself.
This is Dakota, age 8 and beautiful, smart, funny, playful, and loving. I love her beyond the ends of the world. The two biggest things she loves in life are fun and friends. When we're somewhere exciting, she bounces, skips, smiles, laughs, and can't stop moving- her happy is sky high. Her frustration, stress, anger, and any emotion that comes after not getting what she wants also get sky-high. Sometimes we're walking on egg shells at home- like: is she going to explode because I made the wrong kind of pancakes, or didn't read the book she wants, or it wasn't her day to say family prayers, or really anything (big or small) you can think of. Sometimes she gets in trouble because her fits are outrageous- storming, stomping, throwing things, yelling, screeching, and just being fairly irritating. It's rather dramatic. Then she melts into tears and just wants to be loved. It is not fun for anyone.
Tim helps greatly by making fun of her, which sets it off louder and crazier. Once I said, "Kota, he's just teasing you to make you laugh- you just need to ignore it. You guys," I said, "You're like gasoline and fire, the two of you." She responded by saying, "You mean we're going to explode?" and started crying.
Geez.
The last week or so I've been talking to her about batteries and energy. I've told her we all need all of our emotions, the "good" and the "bad"- just like a battery needs positive and negative to make energy. We talked about how to use all the energy that comes from all of our sky high emotions and use them for something useful, to make a difference somewhere, and to manage hard times. I first walked away thinking that it was too complex for her and that I needed to find a way to make it more developmentally appropriate.
But then one day I told her of a cute gal I'm helping at work, and the kinds of things she does that really creates problems in her life. She said, "She should take her emotions and make them useful!"
Yes! We're all practicing this at home now. I guess these are the kind of lessons they get when their mom is a social worker. :)
I always stop dead in my tracks for a few seconds when they play Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac. It makes me laugh at myself. I really like them still, apparently.
Most days on the way to school I make the girls, including carpool, repeat a series of affirmations. Sometimes they add their own. It's fun and I love it, and I think they do too because if I forget they ask for it. Sometimes we say things like, "I'm going to be a hard worker today," or "I'm beautiful," or "I'm grateful for those around me," or "I'm amazing." It's kind of fun. The other night Copper brought me a folded up paper that says:
"If found please give to Mom!" Then it lists the following:
"Affirmations (that are true about you!)
You are loved!
You're beautiful!
You're amazing!
You're awesome!
You're a child of God!
You're outstanding!
You're going to have a great day!
You're kind!"
I thought my heart might explode; I love what she wrote and believes about me, and I love that she is beginning to understand the power of words like that. I hung it up in my office to say everyday about myself.
This is Dakota, age 8 and beautiful, smart, funny, playful, and loving. I love her beyond the ends of the world. The two biggest things she loves in life are fun and friends. When we're somewhere exciting, she bounces, skips, smiles, laughs, and can't stop moving- her happy is sky high. Her frustration, stress, anger, and any emotion that comes after not getting what she wants also get sky-high. Sometimes we're walking on egg shells at home- like: is she going to explode because I made the wrong kind of pancakes, or didn't read the book she wants, or it wasn't her day to say family prayers, or really anything (big or small) you can think of. Sometimes she gets in trouble because her fits are outrageous- storming, stomping, throwing things, yelling, screeching, and just being fairly irritating. It's rather dramatic. Then she melts into tears and just wants to be loved. It is not fun for anyone.
Tim helps greatly by making fun of her, which sets it off louder and crazier. Once I said, "Kota, he's just teasing you to make you laugh- you just need to ignore it. You guys," I said, "You're like gasoline and fire, the two of you." She responded by saying, "You mean we're going to explode?" and started crying.
Geez.
The last week or so I've been talking to her about batteries and energy. I've told her we all need all of our emotions, the "good" and the "bad"- just like a battery needs positive and negative to make energy. We talked about how to use all the energy that comes from all of our sky high emotions and use them for something useful, to make a difference somewhere, and to manage hard times. I first walked away thinking that it was too complex for her and that I needed to find a way to make it more developmentally appropriate.
But then one day I told her of a cute gal I'm helping at work, and the kinds of things she does that really creates problems in her life. She said, "She should take her emotions and make them useful!"
Yes! We're all practicing this at home now. I guess these are the kind of lessons they get when their mom is a social worker. :)



Comments
Post a Comment