A year ago my SIL convinced us to get the brother to her pooch. We did and that's how we got Red. We sure love him.
Then she got bunnies. We loved her first batch but they were quickly hunted down by her own beloved pooch who broke into their hutch and chased them down. A very sad lesson learned but we're happy she got more! This time they're a bit more protected. She's had us convinced for a few weeks to get our own, and Dakota especially has been working like crazy doing extra chores to earn what she needs to. Copper was fine with the idea but Micah firmly stated that first she would run away if we got bunnies; then if she couldn't run away, she'd never leave her room. When we went to see them, Micah fell head over heels and said she wanted one of her own and was ready to work for it.
Then my SIL bugged me to get baby chicks for fresh eggs. I researched it a bit, toyed around with the idea, and said maybe one day. Then one day (like yesterday) I went to IFA with her for bunny food and came home with four chicks myself. She's taking care of them for a few days until they come and live in our house for a month or so until they're big enough for outside. That'll give me time to find a spot for them. Amber bought three more. She's absolutely crazy because that gives her nine. They are the tiniest, cutest things I've ever seen in my life. I understand they will grow up to be very ugly chickens. I'm okay with that. I bought four so that each of the girls could have one they could call their own (they're very excited about that) and the extra is just because I'm sure one will die from trial and error. I hope not, but I am prepared. :) Micah told me if I ever came home with chickens she wouldn't know how to stay in our family. She honestly told me she thought I wouldn't have enough attention for her if we did. Then she held her "very own chicken" (that she named Paradise) and can't get enough. Dakota named hers Caramel and Copper named hers Peps. The extra one is named Benedict. That was my choice. In four to six months, we'll be eating fresh eggs. Mostly brown and tan, but I think one kind lays blue eggs. Sweet.
So, since listening to my SIL I've gotten a puppy, four chicks, and three future bunnies. We're gonna stop there...
In other animal news, poor Red. His allergy shot didn't do much after about two weeks so Tim took him back to the vet. They gave him a prescription to try. Sixty stinking dollars a month, plus a chunk of cheese every time he needs it (twice a day for two weeks then once a day) because I have to hide it in something he likes or he won't swallow it. I don't really believe the prescription is working much either. Two weeks into it and he was still itching, licking, and scratching off all the hair in his four "armpit" areas. He's had open sores and quite miserable. So after a LOT of researching I found some supplements that increase his immune system. We're hoping it's just seasonal allergies that'll get better with the season. For now, we also give him a lot of oatmeal baths. When I say "we" I obviously mean me. It is a pain. He likes it when he's finally in the water, but getting him in there is a PAIN. He's lost fifteen pounds in a month (so sad!) but he still is 65 pounds to lift in the tub, unwillingly. When I say, "Red, let's go have a bath/shower!" he runs away from me or backs up slowly so I can't pull any tricks on him. One day I thought it'd be a good idea to simply soak his feet in a bucket, one at a time. That was worse. Good news though- the supplements I bought seem to be helping more than anything. And... more good news... they are less than half the price of the prescription. I did not realize I was getting a high maintenance dog.
Then she got bunnies. We loved her first batch but they were quickly hunted down by her own beloved pooch who broke into their hutch and chased them down. A very sad lesson learned but we're happy she got more! This time they're a bit more protected. She's had us convinced for a few weeks to get our own, and Dakota especially has been working like crazy doing extra chores to earn what she needs to. Copper was fine with the idea but Micah firmly stated that first she would run away if we got bunnies; then if she couldn't run away, she'd never leave her room. When we went to see them, Micah fell head over heels and said she wanted one of her own and was ready to work for it.
So, since listening to my SIL I've gotten a puppy, four chicks, and three future bunnies. We're gonna stop there...
In other animal news, poor Red. His allergy shot didn't do much after about two weeks so Tim took him back to the vet. They gave him a prescription to try. Sixty stinking dollars a month, plus a chunk of cheese every time he needs it (twice a day for two weeks then once a day) because I have to hide it in something he likes or he won't swallow it. I don't really believe the prescription is working much either. Two weeks into it and he was still itching, licking, and scratching off all the hair in his four "armpit" areas. He's had open sores and quite miserable. So after a LOT of researching I found some supplements that increase his immune system. We're hoping it's just seasonal allergies that'll get better with the season. For now, we also give him a lot of oatmeal baths. When I say "we" I obviously mean me. It is a pain. He likes it when he's finally in the water, but getting him in there is a PAIN. He's lost fifteen pounds in a month (so sad!) but he still is 65 pounds to lift in the tub, unwillingly. When I say, "Red, let's go have a bath/shower!" he runs away from me or backs up slowly so I can't pull any tricks on him. One day I thought it'd be a good idea to simply soak his feet in a bucket, one at a time. That was worse. Good news though- the supplements I bought seem to be helping more than anything. And... more good news... they are less than half the price of the prescription. I did not realize I was getting a high maintenance dog.
We obviously love him though. I mean, I also just had his portrait painted with him as a pirate. It's the most hilarious thing I've done in awhile. I love it. It makes every single person who sees it laugh out loud. Tim thinks he looks like an old time Navy person, so he salutes the picture (and the real dog) when he sees him. I sure love it.








Comments
Post a Comment