When the general Relief Society President beckoned for anyone to help sew masks for a project in conjunction with Intermountain Healthcare, I thought it was pretty cool. When I heard the masks were in kits of 100 to be made in less than 5 days, I thought it was likely a project for people without little kids and jobs.
But then the thought kept nagging me. Two really big promptings to at least check it out. So I went to the website, watched the video, read the information, and signed up. I regretted it after my job got really busy, but I honestly prayed that time would be my friend and that I would figure it out. I wanted to find something to do to get me out of the same old things we've been doing daily- school, work, home stuff. So I picked up my kit on Tuesday and started that night (right after Taryn's party). I watched the video over and over while I assembled the first one. It took twenty minutes to do one because I was a bit afraid I'd do it wrong.
The second one took me half of that time, and by a dozen or so in, they were taking me under five minutes. They've made the process so easy- everything comes in a kit. The fabric for the masks are pre-cut and pre-notched. No cutting, no ironing, just folding, pinning, and sewing the elastics on the side. I took some time off on Wednesday and Thursday to sew. It was such a nice change of pace. By Friday, I had completed all 100. In all, it probably took 15 hours.
When I went to the DI on Saturday (the pick up and drop off place), I was overwhelmed to the point of tears. I couldn't even pull into the parking lot. Car after car after car was lined up on the side of the road, waiting to go in and drop it off. Every single one of these cars had at least one kit of 100 completed masks. Each one picked up the kit on Tuesday and delivered 100 freaking completed masks by Saturday. Hundreds and hundreds of masks being dropped off in the five minutes I was there. Sharon Eubank, one of the counselors in the General Relief Society Presdiency, was there- smiling, waving, and making hearts with her hands; she was also overcome with gratitude, I could tell by her face. I am overcome by the amount of love, time, and service. I have no doubt they will achieve their goal of completing 5 MILLION MASKS IN FIVE WEEKS. This is the third week in and they already are well on track.
Service is everywhere. So many of us are doing something to help out in hard times- whether it's making 100 masks for healthcare workers, giving dinner to someone, offering a smile, donating time or talents, or anything we can think of- we are helping each other out.
When someone asks who are God's people- it's us. It's all of us who choose to give love. It's not just any denomination of religion. God's people are those who choose to show up. I'm happy to be called a daughter of God. I'm pretty proud of this small accomplishment.

Comments
Post a Comment