Skip to main content

Gratitude

 Last week our amazing 96 year old prophet talked about losing his wife a few years ago, losing two daughters to cancer, and other trials in his life.  He talked about his career as a medical doctor who has integral in finding advancements for treatment of heart failure.  He talked about a type of treatment for anything in life that will help provide alleviation.  He talked of gratitude, and issued a challenge to use social media for the better over the course of seven days by expressing the blessings in our own lives.  So I did!

I deleted my Facebook a few months ago but hung onto Instagram, so I used that as my platform in expressing thanks for a small few of the big blessings in my life.  I'm copying them in here so I'll always have them!

Day 1: We had cousins over and I let them decorate the patio windows with window markers with everything they are grateful for. They don't have social media, so this is the closest they got. I told them the prophet asked them to use the hashtag #givethanks... which they thought meant hashtagging everything.  #fail  hahaha


Day 2: "I'm grateful for this guy.  He's the best person in my life.  He's funny, patient, kind, helpful, handsome, and all around a good guy.  I love that he wears a white shirt every day of his life and that he presents to hate the dog and chickens.  I love that he doesn't care about much in this world except our family and God." #givethanks


Day 3: "I sure love these three. Dakota is our ice cream loving, animal adoring, dramatic tease.  Micah is our karate kicking, archery and shooting lover, comical gal.  Copper is a lover of everything girly and who keeps us all in line.  These three are the best girls around." #givethanks

Day 4: "I am grateful for mornings.  I'm grateful for super early mornings.  I take time to talk to myself, talk to God, exercise, read, and write in my journal.  I try to do this at least 3 days a week, getting up a little after four to start my day.  I should just make myself do it everyday... may days just end up better.  I'm a firm believer that joy really does come in the morning." #givethanks

Day 5: "I bought this table at the DI like 11 years ago, maybe a little more.  It's kind of a piece of junk but it does its job.  I love the power that comes from sitting around the table as a family.  I love the stories I hear, the connections we make, and the unity I feel as a family after long and sometimes hard days." #givethanks

Day 6: "Family game nights.  We're a game loving family, even when it ends in thrown cards and tears." #givethanks


Day 7: "I am grateful to be me and for the life that Heavenly Father gave me.  I've always been my worst critic and struggled to like myself.  The older I get, the easier it is to see a little of what God must see.  So, I am grateful to be me- my gifts, talents, quirks, and imperfections." #givethanks


I love this life of mine and the people in it.  I'm grateful for a prophet of God who can prescribe something as simple as gratitude to change a heart and mind and outlook.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...