Skip to main content

Yesterday in church

 I really am humble- no, really- so I feel a bit sheepish for posting about this. But, I want to remember some things, and I like words, so here it is. 

Tim and I spoke in church yesterday together. He only agreed because they let him go first. He's certain that the last time we spoke together I only spoke 5 minutes and left him with 30. I definitely don't remember it like that. 

So we spoke, and he went first and he did such a great job!! I asked him all week what things he was going to talk about and he was all secrecy about it, in large part to annoy me, which it did. So when I finally heard it, I was reminded of all the things I love about him- that he pretends not to care about stuff, but he actually quite deeply cares, and that the gospel is rooted deep in his blood, and he's real about it. He was funny, loving, honest, and, man, says what he believes. I knew he'd say good things- he doesn't talk a lot, but when he does, people listen. In fact, all week long I told him to invite his parents, then told him to just send them the link so they could watch it. He agreed, then of all the days they have broadcasting problems, that was the day. So, he didn't share it. Oh well, maybe next time. 😁

I spent the week telling God I was grateful to prepare a talk and speak it- it really gives a chance to do a reset in studying things that matter most. I read one line of a conference talk and somehow it all came together. I shared some things I hadn't really shared with hardly anyone, and I didn't cry 😂, and I knew God had given me words I needed to share. 

I've had 2 thoughts:

1) When we started studying the Old Testament this year, I wasn't super excited. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But I've found some guides and have gotten pretty into it, so when I studied Enoch, it grabbed my attention. He prayed to know what to say to others, acknowledging his weakness in speaking. He was humble, and he relied on God to give him the words he needed to say. So since January I've been thinking about this .. that I want my weakness to be a strength. My weakness isn't about standing up in front of others, that's pretty easy for me. But I always second guess what cones out of my mouth, and sometimes I just don't articulate well. 

2) My other thought was- I do have a gift in writing. I write well, and it all seems to come out better on paper than through my mouth. So writing the talk itself came pretty easily.

What's a really good thing from God is that He combined these two things. He took my talent of writing and gave me the words to speak. I only wanted to share what I hoped would give an opportunity for others to feel God's goodness. And, that coupled with whatever (secret) words Tim had planned, the Spirit could touch a heart.

God delivers, every time! I left feeling like God was with me, that the small stories of my life could be the means of moving someone's small mountains, that maybe I could touch one person enough they would want to know the God I know.

I know that words alone may not be enough. They are powerful though. I really believe that God can make our weaknesses into something strong. 

Here's the part I feel sheepish about- I have gotten a flood of people reaching out to express gratitude for my words- for God's words that I spoke. Lots of calls and texts. I think it's normal to feel good about those things- everyone likes compliments- and I especially like written ones that I want to remember. 




And my talk is HERE. Most of it's the same, but things were added that just came to my mind in the moment. 🥰




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...