Skip to main content

My uncle died :(

 My uncle Lee died last week.  He's my aunt Barbara's husband, who is my dad's sister. She died in 2016 and I think he finally reached a point where he didn't want to wait any longer to be with her.

I have about one billion memories of my aunt and uncle.  They were who we spent every single holiday with, summers with, winters with. My mom was exactly right when she shared that Lee and Barbara opened their homes and hearts to our family and treated us all like we were their children. I have soooo many memories of their home in Sandy.

My mom and dad, Shandee, and Ty and I all went up to see him before he passed. I realized that while I don't mind death, I certainly don't enjoy watching someone die. It actually made me regret all the years since I've been married and had kids not going and seeing him and Barbara more. I wish my girls could have gotten to know them. They were funny and loving folks whose hearts ran deep.

Some memories of my uncle:

One year for Christmas he gave my mom a big box full of duct tape- I think there were like a dozen rolls in it. Then he got into the habit of duct taping my little brothers' hands together with it and they'd toddle around the house not knowing what to do. Hahahaha....

I didn't know until today that my uncle would come over every night after work when my little brothers had just gotten home from the hospital. They were premature, and 30+ years ago, three-month premature babies came home with a lot of equipment, so my uncle would work on my parents' basement so they would have finished rooms and a bathroom for the babies. He taught my mom how to use power tools, build things, remodel, and refinish. I didn't know that- but I do know how good she is with so many things like that, and I'm so grateful to know where it came from. So, the duct tape was fitting.

I have another memory of him pulling me into his study by the arm after I told him I was going to graduate school at the University of Utah. To say he was a fan of the U is a great understatement, and especially of U football. So when I told him I was going there, he pulled me into a room and said, "Well, it's about time you did something right." Then he wrote me a check for $500 and told me to do good.

He had a way of saying things, almost insulting, but not with a sting because his heart's too big to ever be anything but loving and caring.

I've been to lots of funerals, lots of family funerals, and only a small handful hit me with a little jerk. This was one of them.

I am grateful I got to see cousins over the last few days that I hadn't seen in years. Lee's daughter Jenn, and his son Lee Jr, and my cousin Stephanie, who helped take care of her dad every day since my aunt died. I'm glad families are forever, and I have the biggest no-questions-asked testimony of this. I am thankful for eternal families and memories and laughter and time together.  

I'm pretty sure this picture of them was taken at a UofU football game... they both loved it.




Here's my cousin Jenn who came down from Portland to spent the last three weeks with her dad. She was a good sport and looked at every single picture my dad had on his phone...  every.single.picture.


This is their home and I loved it.

On a ledge up to the front of the house was a little construction guy (toy). I think he has sat there for as long as I can remember- decades and decades.


Shandee and I were so happy to see it was still there when we visited a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why it's endearing, but it is! I hope nobody throws it away and that it somehow stays in the family. Isn't that silly for someone who isn't that sentimental? Maybe I am with some things??

Most LDS funerals are pretty similar- viewing the night before, then a funeral service with a lot of people crying and laughing while listening to a few talks and songs about God. I think that's all fine; but I super love how Lee and Barbara planned. We went to a funeral parlor last night, where we casually visited all their family.  This is a fancy parlor, so we were also served appetizers like fancy cheese and meat, and skewers with barbequed feta cheese and watermelon. (*note to self- make that at home). It was sooo good to see everyone.

The next morning was a graveside service only. Jenn read his obituary (here it is) and anyone was invited to come up and share memories. A prayer to wrap things up, and then a handful of us went out to lunch to keep talking and catching up.

I think I saw her six years ago. THis is my cousin Jenn, and I rarely saw her growing up, then she moved to Washington, and she's been in Portland for a good while now. Still, great to see her and catch up in person rather than just through social media...

This is my cousin Steph and her husband Kee. He is not a locksmith, although that seems to be a running joke of Ty's, hahahaha. They all wore red to honor Lee and the UofU, so that was cool. I think my cousin Steph is pretty incredible, and she's funny. I hope to see her more often than I have.

Last night's viewing winding down... just some mingling and the kids getting high on treats...



My little brothers put duct tape on his casket to be buried with. I loved it.

Anyone was invited to stand and share a memory, and this is my beautiful mama who said all the greatest things...



I realized I did not get a picture of Lee Jr, my other cousin. He also has a great family.

Tom and Ty were pallbearers, but I was on the wrong side to get a good enough picture...

Shandee's kiddos didn't' come to the graveside service, but here's the rest of the grandkids!




While there definitely some tears shed, there was also a lot of smiles. I think, I guess for me at least, it comes from the peace knowing that life is a tiny sliver of time with loved ones, and the longest stretch of eternity isn't too far away from any of us. I'm happy for that perspective and knowledge. I'm most happy that he's with my aunt again. I'm sure they're up to heaven's shenanigans. Do you think there are shenanigans in heaven? I hope so, for my prankster uncle's sake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...