Skip to main content

Getaway

 Tim and I took off to San Diego a few days after Christmas. The last time we went anywhere without the girls (besides a weekend trip) was 14 years ago, so I guess it was time!

I got us a hotel with a kitchen so we could eat a few meals in. We packed food for lunches and the hotel served breakfast. I tried to eat well, since I didn't at all over Christmas. We also found an online "city pass" that let us pick four or so activities for a lower price than buying them all separately. Still, vacations are expensive. I'm grateful for being able to go and enjoy ourselves, and grateful to not have to worry about our girls or animals for a week. 

We drove the whole first day. The highlight was stopping at the West's largest gas station. It has everything, including this Sasquatch statue that is about 25 feet.  I think I could be a gas station junkie. 

The first full day there we walked all around Balboa Park. I didn't realize how big it is- it's huge and beautiful. We then went to the San Diego zoo, which is a favorite. Other than it being crowded,  it was awesome and I love animals.















The next day we hit SeaWorld. I love allll the animal shows. We went on the SkyTower, which is a 400' slowly rotating tower that literally gives a bird's eye view of the city and ocean.













That night we ate a fancy dinner at a restaurant that also serves as a lighthouse. I tried mussels for the first and probably the last time. I fell in love with the platter of cheese, fruit, nuts, and a dripping honeycomb. 😋






The next day we went to Torrey Pines National Reserve. We parked at the north beach and walked far to hit the base of the mountain (well, "mountain"), then walked to the top of it to get to the trailhead. Lotta walking. 

The beaches all around town were closed, meaning it wasn't advised anyone swim or get too close to the water. The waves were unusually really high- the news said they were between 8-10 feet. They were incredible to watch on the north and south beaches of Torrey Pines. We drove to Mission Bay to walk the near empty shores and browse the shops.








On Sunday we drove to "Old San Diego" and walked around Old Town market and some museums and shops. We took the trolley to Harbor Drive and caught a boat cruise of the whole bay. It was pretty cool! We saw lots of seals, sails, and sights.










We also went to the Mormon Battalion Historical Site and took an interactive tour. I either had forgotten that story or learned it for the first time; pretty cool. Tim panned for gold at the end of the tour and found nothing... hahahaha

We walked the boardwalk for awhile before returning to Old Town San Diego. We ate at an open air Mexican place (no walls or roof and really not even in a building)right in the center of a bunch of shops.

It was New Year's Eve and we called it quits early and I fell asleep by 9:00. 


On Monday we went back to Harbor Drive. We walked nearly the length of it, almost twice because halfway through we went back to the van to eat lunch we packed. We went to the USS Midway and walked through all the levels, which was really cool. We also went to the Maritime Museum and toured four or five ships. Tim loved the real pirate ships the most. 















We crashed at the hotel that night. My feet aches from so much walking. We cooked steak, potatoes, and grilled peppers in our hotel room and watched reruns of Friends until bedtime.

Woke up at 5:45 the next morning and were on the road for home by a little after six; with the time change, we got home at 6:00 p.m. (long day!) and came home to this cute sign by the girls.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter-ish, belt exams, and more

  Micah's belt exam was last month.  She advanced to the top of three brown belts and her junior black belt exam will be this fall.  She asked me not to tell or invite anyone except Auree... and Auree is her karate friend. She said, "only karate people there except you guys."  Copper was in NY, so it was just Tim and I and Dakota.  Kota's phone died about one hour into the almost four hours we were there, and what a trooper. Haha. Micah is awesome! While waiting they had to do all sorts of "the grind" exercises.  Here she had to put her feet on her friend (boy Ronan) legs and then do push ups. It looked really hard. Jujitsu fighting with friend (girl) Ronan... Three hours in and she just sat and took a break.  She looked beat. I'm grateful for girl Ronan's friendship with Micah.  They're all such great friends with her. Ronan, Kristine, and Micah Ms. Kassie came back to see everyone who was advanced testing! Micah was thrilled; this is her mentor...

She's Here!

Yea! Copper is here and is so beautiful! She was born on June 8, 2009 after a surprise "You're not leaving the hospital" induction. She was 6.13 pounds and 18.5 inches long. She had the cord around her neck twice, so she was this dark haired, albino skin girl with quivering lips. But so cute! She got some color right away and has stayed pink since! Here's a few pics...
 We went to California! Micah has her annual karate in the woods event through ISKA, and this year we decided to take the whole family and go a few days early. It kind of stinks because the girls had 4 days of school and then we took off! I don't regret it though. They are hard workers and they got caught up pretty fast.  We got there really early Wednesday morning after an early flight, and started off the day off with a baseball game with the San Francisco Giants. Micah is now baseball's biggest fan. Especially the Giants, and especially number 51. I can't remember his name but she knows everything including his stats. 🤣 Wednesday we also walked Pier 39 and about exhausted ourselves from a very long day.  Thursday we hit the national monument and visitor center of the Golden Gate bridge and then walked along it until we got a pretty decent view of the ocean. So pretty! After that we spent the whole rest of the afternoon at the San Francisco zoo. I think this was Dakota...